Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Meeting Shauna and Danny Ahern!

I knew it was them the minute I saw them. Peeking out behind the bookshelves with nervous little giggles as they watched us settle in for our reading. It was a snowy and cold night in Denver, a blizzard in Parker. Mark and I picked up Bev and headed to town. Thank goodness the weather improved as we got closer in. The warmth of the Tattered Cover was comforting. I was apprehensive what the new building would feel like, only going to the Cherry Creek store my whole life. It was nice to see some of the old rickety chairs, that made it through the move, still there. I planted my butt in one and propped up the "leg" in another. I was ready.
Only having surgery 3 days ago in my left leg, left me groggy, so I only took 1/2 a pain pill so I could remember what Shauna had to say. I was in luck, she read several of my favorite passages from the book. Shauna is a cute, little Italian woman, louder in voice than I though she would be and Danny, more sensitive and shyer than I thought he would be. Both are wonderful, warm people. They let us know that there will be a second book coming and a second web site for info and tidbits. Great minds think alike!
I waited until everyone had their autographs and I hobbled up there and introduced myself.
I brought her a little basket of mixes for a gift, a thank you gift, for her wonderful book.
In parting, she signed my book, said our good byes, and feeling fully satisfied, like a great meal and a full stomach, we left to go home.
On the way home I gave my book to Bev to read, she said, " Are you sure you want me to read you autographed copy?" "Of course! this book is to be loved, cooked with and enjoyed, grease stains and all"

No comments: